JAM POT COVERS

• 3 Replies

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
JAM POT COVERS
« on: June 17, 2010, 10:49 »
I have new jars and metal coated lids for making jam. My friend always uses those little wax discs which she places on top of the jam before sealing with the  metal lid.
I just fill the glass jars with hot jam and put the lids on without the disc.
Now she says I am wrong I say I am right because I am using good lids.
I always thought the little wax discs should be used when you dont have any metal lids and when you are using those cellophane covers with an elastic band ???
Someone put me out of my misery! I am all confused here

Jazz
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
Re: JAM POT COVERS
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 12:05 »
The CORRECT way is to put the wax discs on and you must do this if you are going to show them. As the jam cools and contracts, it pulls the disc on very firmly, improving and making the seal airtight. In practice, if you are using screw on lids, you can get away without them!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 12:08 by Val H »
Val
Recipes Galore!

Wild Pony

• Experienced Member
  • God made ducks to make him laugh
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 09:54 »
I must admit to have never shown jams etc, but as a personal thing, if I use good lids that came with the jar then no I don't use the wax discs. But if I don't (have the lids), then I do, usually on chutneys. I also make up some cotton finnishing tops and use hemp twine or rafia to tie on if I'm selling, especially at the works summer and winter fetes, it just helps sell them and get the home I work in more for the coffers to spend on treats days for the ressies. We have a thriving WI here near me and our little post office sells a good supply of sizes, if not a Lakeland shop does.

catllar

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 20:03 »
Since making jam one year and realising I had no waxed discs   in the cupboard, I screwed down the lids on the hot jam and turned the jars upside down and left 'em like that to cool. So far using this method I've never had any problems with the jam keeping , so no more bits of paper for me! ;)

xx
Jam pot covers

Started by Jackypam on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post September 05, 2021, 17:12
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.